Sunday, January 5, 2014

Getting Down to Business


Contrary to popular belief, my break wasn't that much of a break at all, which could be taken as a good thing or a bad thing, it just depends on who you're talking to. Considering I have been busy, it was a very good time to catch up on my work with coding, I had a lot of time to spend learning HTML and CSS. I finally was able to really devote my time to actually learning how to use HTML and what I can make with it. 

Break was also a time where I was able to reflect on the past year. All in all it was a good year with regards to school, sports, and everything else. Yet, one of my regrets is that I did not spend as much time on this project as I would have liked to. With that said, I am starting 2014 off with a bang, ready to work on this project and devote more of my time to it. I had a lot of time to think about what I really want my project to be and what the message/goal of it would be. I decided that my goal is not only to learn how to code, but to raise awareness in the Grosse Pointe Public School System of how quickly coding is growing and how if the elementary schools/middle schools were to implement some sort of basic, beginner coding learning process, children in these schools would be much more prepared for the future than any other school in Michigan. I firmly believe that coding is going to be a necessity in the near future for all young people and I want to make sure that we are prepared for when that time comes. 

My goals for 2014 (in regards to the project):
  1. Learn how to code/perfect it
  2. Create a presentation on the benefits of coding and the simple things that the GPPSS can do to ensure that their students are ahead of the game or not left behind. 
  3. Propose several different options that are easy for children to start learning to code (games, applications, etc.)
  4. Go to a school board meeting and propose my idea there. 
  5. Meet with principals of elementary schools/ the superintendent to discuss this. 

2 comments:

  1. This is VERY impressive! It is great to see a student take on a task that is important to them and recognize how it can affect others, and then to embark upon the steps to create change for everyone. Keep on this! Good luck at the School Board meeting and I will definitely be checking back to your blog to see how things progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Your feedback means a lot!!

      Delete